On September 17, 2019, Council passed the Public Notification Bylaw which provides for alternative methods of public notification of items required to be advertised under the Municipal Government Act (bylaws, resolutions, public hearings, meetings, and other things). 

This page is intended to keep residents informed on legislative services and planning processes in the community, whether it be upcoming public hearings or notices.

Development decisions and public hearings may also be advertised in the local newspaper(s).

Public Hearings are open to the public. They are usually held at 9 a.m. during Council Meetings. Once the Hearing is concluded, a motion may be made to provide Second Reading for the bylaw or bylaw amendment. If approved, it moves on to the Third and Final Reading; if defeated, it’s done. The bylaw may also be given it’s Third and Final Reading at the same meeting. Conversely, Council may request more information or an amendment, whereby the document will be reviewed for the Third and Final Reading at the next Council meeting.

Any comments provided will become part of the public record in accordance with Section 40 (1) of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection Privacy Act. Any personal information on submissions made regarding applications is collected under the authority of the FOIP Act Section 33 (c) and subsequent versions of the Act.

The decision of Council regarding the approval or refusal of a Land Use Bylaw amendment may not be appealed by anyone.

Comments may be forwarded in writing to Wheatland County or in person at the Public Hearing. The application files may be reviewed in the County Office during regular office hours – Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The following decisions are subject to certain conditions, and as per the Municipal Government Act, a person affected by these decisions has a right of appeal.

Permitted Use Applications – The Municipal Government Act, provides that anyone may appeal a decision of the Development Authority by paying the required fee and providing reasons for the appeal in writing.

Discretionary Use Applications – Notice that an application has been submitted for a Discretionary Use Development Permit is mailed to adjacent landowners, referral agencies, adjacent municipalities (where applicable), and other County departments. Decisions regarding Discretionary Use Development Permits will be added to the spreadsheet below. The applicant or anyone else who objects to the decision may appeal to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB).

Subdivision Applications – Notices that an application has been submitted for a Subdivision Application are sent to adjacent landowners, referral agencies listed, adjacent municipalities (where applicable) and County departments. The applicant may appeal to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) if they object to the final decision. None of the adjacent landowners or referral agencies are notified after a decision because they do not have the right of appeal.

Copies of any the permits are available for inspection by the public at the Wheatland County Administration Office during regular office hours.

At the hearing(s) the SDAB will hear from the appellant(s) and/or the agent; from any person who claims to be affected by the proposal; and from any other person who wishes to make representation AND whom the SDAB agrees to hear.

Comments may be made verbally at the hearing, OR if you wish to present a written submission, you must have copies of the same to be distributed at the commencement of the hearing. Any submissions you make are collected under the authority of subsection 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purposes set out in sections 678 and 686 of the Municipal Government Act. Submissions will form part of a report available to the public and may be referenced in the Board’s public written decision. If you have any questions regarding the collection or retention of this information, contact the Wheatland County FOIP Coordinator at (403) 934-3321.

Due to current and changing COVID-19 safety regulations, Wheatland County will be taking various measures to protect attendees. These measures will include mandatory hand sanitizing and facemasks that will be provided by Wheatland County. All attendees will be required to sign in upon arrival and maintain social distancing. Please contact Wheatland County by phone or refer to our webpage www.wheatlandcounty.ca/covid19 prior to the hearing for updated COVID-19 procedures.

The complete file for this application may be inspected in the County Office during regular office hours – Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Should you have any questions please contact the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board Clerk at 403-934-3321, or via email.

Upcoming Hearings

August 17, 2020, at 9 a.m.

The hearing will be held at the Wheatland County Council Chambers: 242006 Range Road 243 (East of Strathmore off Hwy 1) on Monday, August 17, 2020, commencing at 9 a.m. This meeting can also be accessed electronically by dialing in to (403) 768-1708 and entering PIN 64324.

A time limit may be imposed on verbal submissions, at the discretion of the Chairperson. No comments via telephone prior to the hearing date will be considered by the SDAB. We would appreciate receiving your written comments by Tuesday, August 11, 2020 (prior to 12 noon) in regard to this matter.

Development Permit 2020-040
Re: Composting Facility
Legal Description – Plan 131 2179, Block 3, Lot 2 within NE-24-22-26-W4M
Permit Refused – July 14, 2020 – Municipal Planning Commission
DP 2020-040 Public Hearing Package
Decision for DP2020-040 

Due to COVID-19, the SDAB Public Hearing will proceed as follows:

Board Members, Staff, Appellant Arrival at Hearing

Members of the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board, staff and appellant/applicant will be allowed to remain in Council Chambers for the duration of the hearing. Hand sanitizing will be mandatory, and facemasks are encouraged and will be available.

Public Arrival at Hearing

Members of the public attending the appeal in person will have to wait in a designated room allowing for social distancing. Alternatively, members of the public can wait in their vehicles before speaking but must check in at reception prior to the hearing. All persons speaking or entering Council Chambers will need to complete a COVID form supplied by Wheatland County.

Members of the public will be able to listen to the hearing in the designated room within Wheatland County Administration Building. If people wish to call in to the conference call line on their personal phones to hear the meeting they can do that as well.

Members of the public will only be allowed into Council Chambers to speak in either support or in opposition of the appeal. Members of the public will be escorted individually into Chambers and once they have completed speaking, they will be required to leave Chambers and either return to the designated room or leave the administration building. No loitering will be permitted in the lobby area. Sanitization of the podium/microphone area will occur between speakers.

Hand sanitizing will be mandatory, and facemasks are encouraged and will be available.

Call to Order

Chair will call the meeting to order, review the SDAB process and members of the board will introduce themselves.

Hearing Process

    1. Development Authority to Present

    2. Questions from the Board

    3. Appellant/Applicant to Present

    4. Questions from the Board

    5. People in Support of Appeal

    6. People in Opposition of Appeal

    7. Any Rebuttal from Appellant/Applicant Closing Remarks

Back to top

Fire Ban

Wheatland County has declared a Fire Ban. Permit burning is prohibited and no new permits will be issued.

Learn More