Agricultural Service Board
The Wheatland County Agricultural Service Board (ASB) is established by county council under the authority of the Agricultural Service Board Act. The Wheatland County ASB is comprised of a combination of members at large and elected council members.
Chair Rick Laursen
Vice Chair Shannon Laprise
Barry Van Laar
Duties of the ASB:
- Advise county council and the Minister of agriculture on matters of mutual concern
- Advise, organize and direct weed and pest control, livestock disease control, and soil and water conservation programs
- Promote, enhance, and protect viable and sustainable agriculture with a view to improving the economic viability of the agricultural producer
- Promote and develop agricultural policies to meet the needs of the agricultural industry in the county
Applications for “Members at Large”
Wheatland County invites applications for “Members-At-Large” to the Agricultural Service Board (ASB). The ASB is a special committee appointed by council to address agricultural concerns in the municipality. This is done through developing and evaluating agricultural policies and programs to meet the needs of Wheatland County. Applicants should be well versed in a wide variety of agricultural areas; reside in, or own property within, the boundaries of Wheatland County and be able to attend four board meetings per year plus the Regional and Provincial ASB Conferences.
Membership appointments may be made by County Council at the annual Organizational Meeting for a term of three years with eligibility for reappointment. Current membership of the board includes both Councilors and members at large with the exact makeup of the board moving forward to be determined at the organizational meeting. County Council reserves the right to accept or reject any or all applications.
Provincial statutes which are administered by the Board include:
- Weed Control Act
- Soil Conservation Act
- Agricultural Pests Act
- Agricultural Service Board Act
Additional statutes worked with include the:
- Animal Health Act
The agricultural fieldman acts as a designated officer of the county in carrying out the functions, duties, and powers of the county under any legislation relating to agriculture. These duties respond to both needs of the county and the producer. The Agricultural Service Board has initiated a variety of programs including weed control, education, roadside mowing, and conservation.
The following are organizations that have partnered with Wheatland County’s Agricultural Services Department:
- Alberta Invasive Plant Council
- Wheatland Weed Consensus Committee
- Calgary and District Intergovernmental Weed Committee
- Alberta Weed Regulatory Advisory Committee
- Association of Alberta Agricultural Fieldman
- Bow River Phosphorus Management Plan Steering Committee
- Bow River Basin Council
- Red Deer River Watershed Alliance
- Cows and Fish
- Red-Bow Agricultural Partnership (Rocky View County, Kneehill County, Red Deer County, Mountain View County, Clearwater County, M.D. of Bighorn, Foothills Forage and Grazing Association, Cows and Fish, Alberta Agriculture, Olds College)
- Wheatland District 4H