Wheatland County History
On January 1, 1955, Improvement District No. 41, part of Improvement District No. 42, part of the Municipal Districts of Bow Valley No. 40, Serviceberry No. 43, and Kneehill No. 48, were merged into one new municipal district to be known as the Municipal District of Wheatland No. 40 for the first time.
The Municipal District of Wheatland No. 40 and the Wheatland School Division No. 40 joined together on January 1, 1961, and became known as the County of Wheatland No. 16.
On March 6, 1996, the name was changed from the County of Wheatland No. 16 to the name currently used, Wheatland County.
The formation of the Municipal District of Wheatland No. 40 document from 1954 can be viewed on the Municipal Affairs website.
The communities within Wheatland County have a long and proud agricultural history and there are many century farms still in operation.