Brenda Knight - Division 5 Councillor
I was elected as Division 5 Councilor for Wheatland County on October 18, 2010. In addition to my regular Councilor duties, I have served as a member of the following County Committees:
- Wheatland County Policy Review Committee (Chairman 2010/2011)
- Wheatland Housing Board
- Agricultural Service Board
- Parks Committee
- Disaster Services Committee
- Municipal Planning Committee
- Rail Community Advisory Panel
- Hospital Planning Committee
- Wheatland Regional Water Partnership
- Wheatland Regional Partnership
- Director - Red Deer River Basin Watershed
- CAAMDC Committee
- CAAMDC FCM Representative 2014-2017
- Fire Service Review Committee
- Joint Irrigation Issues Committee
- Canadian Badlands
- Calgary Region Airshed Zone
Current and past association with community organizations include;
- Action for Agriculture – Director
- Western District Historical Society
- Strathmore & District Ag Society – Director – 14 yrs on Bylaw Policy/Board Development
- Strathmore Chamber of Commerce – 4yrs - Administrative Asst. /Event Coordinator
- Calgary Stampede – 25+ year volunteer – 10 years on Ag Education Committee
- 4H Leader 15+ yrs
- Royal Canadian Legion Branch #10 & Ladies Auxiliary – 23 + yrs/ Executives/Committees
- Green Certificate Trainer
My partner of 22 years, Boyd, and I own and operate various businesses and reside on a farm in Wheatland County.
I firmly believe that having a strong rural voice provincially and federally makes for better government.
The absence and or aging infrastructure in the rural communities is crucial to ensuring access to foreign markets. Roads, bridges and the dismantling, safety and service of our railroads are just a few issues.
Balanced long term planning is important; land use, water quality & quantity, forestry, oil, gas, solar, wind power, air quality and eco systems are important environmental considerations for stable and continued economic growth.
Education and Health care access in our rural communities remains an issue and one size fit all approach is unacceptable. Children, seniors and veterans care speaks volumes about our social values locally and nationally.
Utilizing advancements in research and technology in a timely matter may bridge existing gaps. Pilot projects and the ability to change and be adaptable to our fast pace world whether it be through procedures, policy or legislation shall determine our future.
As an agricultural based County it is critical that farming is kept viable because Farmers feed the world and made in Canada matters.
I am enjoying serving my community as your representative and appreciate your input and look forward to your future calls.
Division 5 Councillor
Division 5 Councillor
Box 7 Site 22 RR 2