On April 5, 2022, Wheatland County Council approved the 2022 final budget that includes a 0.0% tax increase over the 2021 final budget to ensure that Wheatland County remains sustainable and thriving.
The following motion was made:
THAT Council approve the 2022-2024 Final Operating Budget as presented, with the following amendments: reduction of property taxes of $564,432 and reduce transfers to reserves for the offsetting reduction in tax revenue.
“The last 2 years have brought significant economic uncertainty, both locally and globally. As our community continues to be impacted by these events, the 2022 Approved Final Budget strives to ease the cost-of-living pressures, while maintaining essential services and remaining in a competitive position for business and economic development. The 0% increase strikes a balance between prioritizing fiscal prudence and strategic investment, while maintaining our strong financial position.”
-Reeve, Amber Link
The final operating and capital budgets are set at $62.5 million and $18.6 million, respectively.
Council was mindful to avoid a municipal tax increase to allow both economic recovery and growth, while lessening financial impacts to Wheatland residents and businesses.
2022 Final Budget Highlights:
- Approximately $10.3 million for road projects and local bridges including $4.9 million for Range Road 205 re-construction
- Approximately $2.0 million for Water and Storm Drainage projects including an additional water main for Rosebud
- Approximately $2.0 million for community support such as:
- ~$0.9 million for the Wheatland Housing Management Body
- ~$0.7 million for Village Funding and Recreational Facilities
- ~$0.4 million for the Community Enhancement Regional Board Grant
2022 Capital Budget Summary
- $6.5 million Public Works – General Construction & Road Maintenance
- $3.8 million Equipment/Fleet
- $2.1 million Public Works – Bridges
- $1.6 million Public Works – Paved Roads
- $1.4 million Water
- $0.6 million Agricultural Service Board
- $0.5 million Administration
- $0.4 million Sewer
- $0.4 million Facilities
- $0.4 million Fire
- $0.4 million Public Works – Hamlets
- $0.4 million Community Services, Waste Management, Storm Drainage and Cemetery