Wheatland County Council passed a resolution on May 19, 2020 to declare June 1-7, 2020 Seniors’ Week in Wheatland County.
During these challenging times, Albertans are encourage to recognize and connect with seniors in innovative, fun and creative ways while adhering to physical distancing restrictions in place.
Keep connected and support seniors
There are so many great opportunities to stay connected with the older adults in your life, say thank you, make sure they are safe, and see if they need anything. To do so safely, here are some ways to stay connected:
- Make an audio or video call, email or send letters to check in
- Host a family dinner online
- Host a virtual games night with family and friends
- Write letters and send cards, drawings or photos to seniors in local continuing care facilities
- Arrange outdoor visits that observe physical distancing restrictions
This is a great time to support the emotional, mental and physical well-being of older adults and to spread good cheer throughout your community.
- Offer to assist with grocery and prescription purchases – online or delivery
- Organize a local group to offer physically distanced yard cleaning for seniors
- Drop off gift baskets and/or homemade cards at seniors’ homes
- Volunteer with organizations that support seniors, like telephone check-in program
- Recognize outstanding supports for seniors during the COVID-19 pandemic by nominating an individual, business or nonprofit organization that has served seniors in your community for a Minister’s Seniors Service Award at www.alberta.ca/MSSA.
Share your stories
- Interview seniors and capture their stories and history
- Host a virtual music concert
- Host an online poetry reading
- Host a podcast with guest speakers
- Invite older adults you know to participate in online educational, activity or cooking classes
- Conduct a “drive-by” parade – make signs, honk your horns and wave
- Host a physically-distanced dance or musical performance outside a seniors complex
- Have a virtual story-telling evening
Be creative! Record your interactions (video or photos). Post on your favourite social media platform using #abseniors. Add your virtual celebration to our online calendar at www.seniors-housing.alberta.ca/events.
More information: https://www.alberta.ca/seniors-week.aspx