Where There’s Room to Grow


Complaint Procedures

Assessment Complaints
If you have any questions or concerns about your assessment, please contact the Assessment Department prior to filing a complaint.

If after you have discussed your concerns with the assessment department and still believe your property assessment or any other property is unfair, you may file a written complaint to the clerk of the assessment review board, Pursuant to Section 460 of the Municipal Government Act and Matters Relating to Assessment Complaints Regulation.

Assessment Complaint Procedure

To ensure property owners have a voice in the property assessment system, the Municipal Government Act has set out a complaints and appeals system for property owners who have concerns about their assessment.

The process involves filing a complaint with your municipality's assessment review board. The type of property the complaint is about will determine the type of assessment review board that will hear your complaint.

More information can be found on the Government of Alberta's Property Assessment Complaints and Appeals website page.

To file a complaint you must complete an Assessment Review Complaint Form and Assessment Complaints Agent Authorization Form.

  • Submit appropriate appeal fee (See Fees for Filing a Complaint below)
  • A complaint must explain why the complainant thinks information shown on the property assessment and tax notice is incorrect
  • The date by which a complaint must be received cannot be later than the "Final Date for Complaint" as stated on the property assessment and tax notice
  • The Assessment Review Board cannot hear complaints about the amount of the property tax bill or tax rate
  • Complaints on Linear (LN) property assessment class must be submitted to the Municipal Government Board within the time period shown on the linear assessment notices, which are sent out by the assessor designated by the minister

Fees for Filing a Complaint

As per the Master Schedule of Fees, fees vary depending on the assessment class - please contact our office for verification of fees.

Payment for filing a complaint must be enclosed with the completed complaint form (if mailing) or paid at our office at time of filing. Cheques should be made payable to Wheatland Countyplease do not mail cash. Assessment complaints must be forwarded to:

Wheatland County
Attn: Clerk of Assessment Review Board
Hwy 1 RR 1
Strathmore, AB T1P 1J6

Contact Us

Wheatland County
242006 Rg. Rd. 243 
Highway 1 RR 1
Strathmore, Alberta
T1P 1J6

Ph: (403) 934-3321
Fx: (403) 934-4889
Our Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

April 7, 2020
9:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Council Meeting
April 10, 2020
12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
STAT - Good Friday
April 13, 2020
12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
STAT - Easter Monday