About Dust Control
Dust control is offered by Wheatland County for landowners or residents within the County who wish to reduce the amount of dust created by vehicles travelling on the gravel roads near their homes, businesses or farms.
- Minimum amount is 122 metres (400 feet)
- Applications will only proceed if there is sufficient interest
- Typically it requires two applications of calcium chloride to provide dust control for an entire year (second application is optional, and fees apply for both applications)
- Prices reflect no charge for county staff or equipment—ratepayers pay for materials only
Calcium chloride is salt water brine. Once calcium chloride has been applied twice it will typically last the season under normal conditions.
County Roads $7.38/metre ($2.25/ft) + GST
Deadline for calcium chloride:
For May application (application begins mid-May—weather permitting), you must submit your order by April 28, 2017
For June application (application begins late-June—weather permitting), you must submit your order by June 9, 2017
Oil is crude oil mixed with gravel; it is then spread and packed. Oil should last three or more years under normal conditions. Because oil is easier to mix and will last longer if the weather is hot and dry, the county waits until midsummer to apply.
- County Roads new application $27.89/metre ($8.50/ft) + GST
- County Roads redo $24.61/metre ($7.50/ft) + GST
- Gravel Secondary Highways new application $31.17/metre ($9.50/ft) + GST
- Gravel Secondary Highways redo $27.89/metre ($8.50/ft) + GST
Note: Redo rates apply only at the County's discretion, and only if dust control has been done the previous year on the same site.
Deadline for oiling:
For oil application (oiling begins late-July—weather permitting), you must submit your order by July 7, 2017
Dust Control Patching—Time Sensitive!
In 2008, Council introduced a new program to assist in prolonging the life of previously applied oil dust control.
The patching program is offered at minimal cost to the land owner. However, the service is subject to an inspection of the site to determine if the road surface can be repaired/patched or if the damage is too extensive. To have your road inspected to see if patching is a possibility, please complete the application form here.
2017 Price: For materials only, $100.00/tonne + GST
Deadline for patching:
There is no deadline for patching. However, it is important to note that if, after inspection, it is determined that patching is not an option, the deadline for requesting oiling (if you choose to do this instead) still applies (July 7, 2017)
Patching work will be scheduled when it is most suitable for County staff. Safety is of the highest concern, rough dust controlled roads will be graded smooth if they are deemed unsafe.