Economic Development Plan
The creation of the 2016-2019 Economic Development Strategy initiated economic development programming and services within Wheatland County for the first time. Due to the rapidly changing economy, an update of the current economic development strategy was necessary.
The process followed to create the 2018 Wheatland County Economic Development Strategy was comprised of a document review, statistical analysis and community consultation.
The consultants began their study with a familiarization tour of the County and a municipal document review. They then developed a statistical analysis of Wheatland County’s economy and demographics that yielded a current situational analysis report, after which they embarked upon a thorough consultation process that included:
- A 3-hour session with Council and the County’s Economic Development Board;
- Three open house consultations in Gleichen, Carseland, and Rosebud;
- A series of one-on-one interviews with businesses and stakeholders;
- An online survey that received over 80 responses; and
- A working session with key stakeholders.
Thus, the Economic Development Strategy was created and based on a comprehensive understanding of the County, its economy, businesses, and stakeholders.