Within the Community Enhancement Fund grant program, there are three categories:
- Project-Based Grants provide financial assistance for community organizations, for such things as, but not limited to, equipment purchases beautification projects, facility construction or renovation projects, facility maintenance, celebrations and community events, history books, programs or special funding requests within Wheatland County.
- Operating Grants provide financial assistance to registered non-profit organizations in Wheatland County to enhance the organization’s ability to operate and to deliver services to the community.
- Library Grants are provided to libraries used by Wheatland County residents based on a formula approved by Wheatland County Council.
The Community Enhancement Fund grant program is governed by the terms outlined in the Wheatland County Community Enhancement Reserve Policy.
- Applications are due by January 31 each year. They will be reviewed between February 1 and March 31, and applicants will be informed of the decision after that time.
- Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their applications from Wheatland County.
- The Community Enhancement Regional Board reviews and recommends funding to Council, who then approves, refuses, or amends these recommendations.
- When an application has been approved, Wheatland County will notify the grant recipient and a cheque will be provided to them.
- When an application is declined, that applicant will be notified in writing.
The Board’s recommendations for funding are at the discretion of the Board with no obligation on the part of the Board to provide reasons for its decision.
Project-Based and Operating Grants must be completed by December 31 of the grant year and final reporting received by Wheatland County by January 31 of the following year.
If a project is not completed within the required time frame, the applicant may request an extension. Please speak to administrative staff prior to requesting an extension.
All extension requests must be submitted by the applicant in writing to the Community Enhancement Regional Board c/o Wheatland County.
The request should include:
- an explanation as to why the project could not be completed within the timeframe,
- a description of what has been completed to date (to demonstrate that some progress has been made),
- a description of what remains to be done and a reasonable timeline for doing it (including a proposed new project completion date).
Any decision on extension requests will be communicated in writing to the applicant by the Grant Writer/Coordinator at the Wheatland County Office.
Applicants are required to refund unexpended funds to Wheatland County once the final amount is confirmed by Wheatland County staff.
Unexpended funds amounting to $100.00 or less are not required to be refunded.
Confirmed unexpended funds are required to be paid to Wheatland County by February 28 of the year following the grant year.
Applicants who have outstanding unexpended fund payments are ineligible for future Community Enhancement Funding.