The Surfacing Crew Equipment Operator is responsible for operating a heavy truck and other heavy equipment in a safe and effective manner to ensure Wheatland County roadways are accessible, safe, and in good condition.
The Surfacing Crew Equipment Operator will provide back-up support within the Public Works Operations as required.
- Properly operate equipment in accordance with Wheatland County policies, and ensure work is performed in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Detect the cause of equipment failures and recommend preventative measures.
- Appropriately report equipment deficiencies along with corrective measures.
- Perform all daily safety, maintenance checks and conduct general care and maintenance of equipment.
- Coordinate the delivery of supplies and materials.
- Apply dust abatement products.
- During the winter season assume the role of Plow Truck Operator.
- Report any dangerous or unsafe road conditions to the Surfacing Foreman
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Ensure compliance with OH&S including attendance at safety meetings, being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring work is completed in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete administrative tasks when required.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, customers and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- Valid Class 1 Alberta drivers’ licence
- 3 years’ experience driving similar vehicles and hauling similar commodities is preferred
- Related experience and education
- Experience working with graders and other heavy equipment
- Ability to work alone and work cooperatively in a team environment
- Previous experience with dust abatement applications would be an asset
- (Approximately) April – November (Summer Season) – Monday to Friday; 50 regular hours/week;
- (Approximately) December – March (Winter Season) – Monday to Friday; 40 regular hours/week;
- Overtime may be required